How would your day be different if every student got hugged by a parent before school?
Fewer discipline problems, better attitudes, and more learning?
What if every teacher hugged their child or spouse/partner before school? Wow!
Less stress, better attitudes, and more learning?
Celebrate Global Hug Your Kids Day at your school, pre-school, summer school,
or day camp on Monday, July 16, 2012!
Michelle Nichols' dad taught third grade for 33 years. Her mom was a children's librarian. I've had 3 of my own children attend preschool to high school. I made this page for all the great teachers and administrators.
Who can have an event?
- All year-around schools, summer schools, pre-schools, and even universites are welcome to join in celebrating the holiday.
Please let us know about your event so we can add it to our 2011 Holiday Calendar. Then we can cross-promote each other's events too, because everyone has friends in other cities who love their kids. The media will love seeing a big list of Global Hug Your Kids Day events and that's good for all the events.
Photos from "One-Minute Hug" in Red Bluff, CA in memory of Tommy Bedel
All children love hugs and Hug Your Kids Day. Here are some ideas. I'm sure you can think of more! These are also great teacher bulletin board ideas and teacher resources.
English / Language Arts - Have the students write an essay "What a Hug Means to Me," or "Why I Love to Hug My Family."
Math - Have the students write down how many hugs a day they need, then have them guess the class average, high, low, etc. Maybe make a graph of the answers.
Art - Ask every student to draw a picture of them hugging someone in their family. Display them on a wall. Maybe they can draw a picture of a family member they'd like to hug, or their favorite hug they've ever had. These would be unique Fathers Day gifts! A fun example of kids crafts.
All - Design a simple "I Got Hugged Today" certificate and have the children bring it home and have a parent or special family member hug them, sign it, and bring it back to school. Maybe have a contest for the class with the highest percentage of signed certificates.
Art - Have the children draw their family tree and put a heart sticker over everyone who hugged them that day/ week/ month. Instead of a family tree, you could use other motifs, like a big heart or a hand too - another idea for unique Fathers Day gifts.
Music or PE - Dance, sing, or accompany our song, Hug Your Kids Today!
Post it on your sign out front: Happy Hug Your Kids Day! or Hug Your Kids Today! or Have You Hugged Your Kids Today?
School newsletter or local newspaper - Pre-announce the holiday and afterwards, publish the results - art, graphs, esssays and photos!
Make a video of this, post it on You Tube and send us the link so we can share it. What fun!
For private schools and preschools:
- Have a sale or promotion based on the holiday. For example, If you hugged someone today, come in for a free gift or a discount on something.
- Offer free kids crafts to prospective students and their families.
For everyone on staff:
More Event Ideas
- Send out an email or a flier to your staff announcing Monday, July 18, is Global Hug Your Kids Day and encourage them to hug their kids or loved ones before or after work that day.
- Have a competition to see which team had the highest hug-rate. Teachers vs. Staff? Lower grades vs. upper grades? Remind them that everyone who gave a hug - and got one back - is a winner.
- Set up a place on your Intranet or on the Web or Facebook where your staff can post photos of them hugging their kids or loved ones. Maybe have a contest for cutest hug photos.
- Have a BBQ or other event where they bring their families and make a YouTube video, perhaps with our song Hug Your Kids Today, playing in the background. Post it on YouTube and send us the link! Click here to see and hear our Videos and Song.
- If you're near Reno, or another city with a city-wide Hug event, encourage your employees and their families to attend. Maybe ask them to wear a company t-shirt.
- Let us know about your plans and we'll help you publicize them. Contact us!
Original "Hug Your Kids" painting by Terri Bieber of Katy, TX.
For more ideas, go to Corporate Holiday Idea Kit.
To discuss your ideas, or questions (or answers!) or for free teacher worksheets or teacher bulletin board ideas or other teacher resources, contact us today!